The Department of Defense announced $3.6 billion in funds this week that will go towards building the wall and addressing the national emergency on our southern border.
- The Department of Defense announced they would reprogram $3.6 billion in military construction funds to help out with wall construction.
- These funds will support 11 border barrier construction projects along the southern border.
- This funding follows President Trump’s action to declare a national emergency at the southern border earlier this year.
Despite what the fake news and Congressional Democrats may claim, no projects are being cancelled.
- The projects these funds are being transferred from have been deferred, not cancelled.
- These funds will help support our troops who have been deployed to the southern border and are working stop the dire crisis we are facing.
- There has been no stronger advocate for our military than President Trump.
o President Trump has secured hundreds of billions of dollars to strengthen our military and provided our troops with their biggest pay raise in nearly a decade.
President Trump is using all resources available to him to build the wall, secure the border, and protect our country.
- Despite obstruction at every turn from the mainstream media and Congressional Democrats, the wall is being built.
- Earlier this year, the Administration identified up to $8.1 billion to help build the border wall.
o This includes funds appropriated by Congress, funds already available across the Government, and funds made available by the national emergency.
- Thanks to President Trump’s efforts, around 450 miles of border wall is expected to be completed by the end of next year.
Building the wall is vital to stopping the horrible humanitarian and national security crisis at the border.
- Already this fiscal year, over 850,000 illegal aliens have arrived at our southern border, overwhelming our nation’s immigration system.
- Deadly drugs are flooding across the border and devastating our communities.
o Every day, roughly 130 Americans die from opioid overdoses, as fentanyl and heroin stream across our border and into our communities.
o Last year, CBP and ICE seized almost 5,000 pounds of fentanyl combined—totaling 1.2 billion lethal doses, or enough to kill every American four times.
- For too long, criminal aliens and gang members have exploited our porous borders to gain entry into our country.
o This year CBP has encountered over 14,000 criminal aliens at the border and apprehended more than 400 members of the vile MS-13 gang.